Sunday 12 June 2011

Where did my creative journey begin?

I have always felt a strong, emotional connection with light, shapes and colour.  But, although I was good at drawing and painting, it just didn't happen.  
In fact, my first artistic phase came through music, when I joined my primary school choir at the age of ten.  As soon as I had my first session, I was eager to learn the piano. I  borrowed a mate's miniature, single-octave keyboard and taught myself to read and play all the songs in our choir book.  This was the tipping point that convinced my parents to invest in a piano.
My piano was an old, WWII German up-right.  But to me, it was  just awesome to have 88 full-size keys! Within a few months, right before my 11th birthday, I had completed my first composition, which I called Mysterious Anonymous.  Twenty three years on and some twenty compositions later, Mysterious Anonymous remains my favourite written piece.  
Music was my life for ten years until my 21st birthday when my grandparents bought me my first Nikon 35mm camera.  This marked the beginning of my second phase: Art photography. 

For the past 12 years, I have dedicated my creative energy to art photography (film and digital) and have taught myself some unique, non-conventional techniques which have shaped and continue to shape out a certain contemplative focus on mood in my work.

Today, I find myself more inspired by painters, particularly the great Impressionists.  For the past two years, I have been exploring Impressionism through the lens (also known as Pictorialism), which I will discuss further in other posts.



I feel I will soon approach the third phase in my art journey - where my music and photography finally come together... more on this shortly!

1 comment:

  1. I really liked your Narrabeen shot that I saw in Mona Vale gallery and I went to the rockpool last weekend and tried to take some unconventional photos of the rockpool. I think I will never be able to see what you see through the lenses, but at least I tried something different with my camera inspired by your shots and the beautiful scenery.

    ReplyDelete